Wednesday, April 19, 2017

WIZARDS LOSE CLOSE GAME AGAINST BUSHMEN



By SEAN LYNCH

SEAN LYNCH FOR WIZARD WEEKLY
The Washingtonville varsity boys’ baseball team lost 1-0 in an uneventful game against Pine Bush this past Monday. Washingtonville accumulated just two hits as the sun faded away over the third base side for the duration of the game. 

Two players in particular who thrived in their limited opportunities, however, were center fielder Jeremy Gutierrez and catcher Ryan Hendricks. Both were behind on Pine Bush’s Noah Krzyzak’s fastball, but showed great poise and fouled off many pitches.

Gutierrez, who made a run-saving catch in center field during the second inning, explained, “I feel pretty comfortable in the outfield.  I felt good about that catch and hopefully I can have more catches like that in the future.” 

This was Hendricks’ first varsity baseball game. When asked about how he felt the game  went, he elaborated, "It was quite nerve racking but as the game went on I got comfortable with my teammates and it felt amazing being able to play at the varsity level." Over the course of the season, Ryan is determined to be the best player possible. "For my first season I want to make sure I keep my starting spot behind the plate." Hendricks sternly added, “It is imperative to become the best teammate I can be and do whatever I can to help my team win games.”

Jack Wilde surrendered one run in the first inning, but then proceeded to throw four scoreless innings on the mound.  Wilde took the loss as the Wizards’ record dropped to 0-1.  Jason Bensetler and Sam Sosa each provided one hit for the Wizards.


Chase Glasspoole scored the only run of the game. Noah Krzyzak pitched 5 and 2/3 scoreless innings and got the win for Pine Bush, who now have a 1-0 record. The Wizards will hopefully be able to turn things around in time for their next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment