Friday, May 25, 2018

THE FINAL BOW

By TAYLOR FAGAN

With the school year quickly dwindling down, there are several “lasts” occurring for the seniors at Washingtonville High School.  Numerous students performed their favorite show tunes during their final performance of the year this past Tuesday night at Masque and Mime’s annual Cabaret.

TAYLOR FAGAN FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY

Students at WHS are talented in a plethora of areas, one being musical theatre.  From the numerous musical productions to the unique Cabaret, every participant expressed their talent and love for musical theatre.  Senior, Hayley Knips, indicated that, “Cabaret is different because instead of one cohesive storyline with related songs, it’s a collection of different songs from multiple musicals.”  She later added that, “Since everyone gets to pick their own song, you can get a glimpse of everyone’s individual tastes.”  Cabaret makes the students feel special, as they go up on stage and have their own spotlight.  For those who aren’t always the lead roles, “Cabaret gives everyone a chance to be featured,” said Knips.  

Hayley Knipps has been actively involved in Masque and Mime since her freshman year.  Hayley can be recognized from her lead role as Millie in this year's spring musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie.  At this year’s Cabaret, Knips decided to sing “Me and Ricky” from the show The Theory of Relativity.  When asked what inspired Hayley's song choice she informed, “My sister actually helped me choose the song because her school had just done the show The Theory of Relativity, which is the musical that my song is from.  I also liked how it was more obscure than some of the basic musical theatre music.”

Justine Sanchez, is another senior Masque and Mime member who is not shy on the stage.  She performed a song from Anastasia called “Journey to the Past.”  Sanchez voiced, “ I chose this song because I love the passion sung by the dynamic character in the show.  At the beginning of my senior year, I knew I wanted to end the year with this song.”  Not only does Cabaret allow singers to belt out their favorite tunes, but the participants also serve a meal to the tables in the audience.  Sanchez added, “My favorite part of cabaret is welcoming my assigned table and serving them their entrees.” 

Musical theatre gives students the chance to express themselves through song or other characters.  Senior, Kathryn Finnigan, stated, “I love musical theatre because it allows me to take  a break from reality for a little bit and have fun…”  Sanchez also uttered, “When I perform, I want to inspire the audience and send out a message to change their lives. When I was a freshman, I was inspired by the older kids and I want to pass it on to the next set of kids.”

Cabaret gives Masque and Mime students one last time to perform and show their passion in a more intimate setting.  Although this may be the last time many of them will have an opportunity to step on stage, seeing students give their all is a unique and show stopping experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment