Thursday, April 12, 2018

SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: EMILY NAGLE

By JACK PALMER

As the final weeks leading up to to decision day are quickly approaching, high school students all over the nation are deciding where they will be attending college in the fall, and what they will be doing once they get there.  However, for some students, it is an easy choice because they have been given the opportunity to play their favorite sport in college.  For Emily Nagle, the choice was simple.

JACK PALMER FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY
When asked why she chose SUNY Plattsburgh, she expressed that it came down to what felt right for her.  “After the coach contacted me in the summer, I started doing my research and, although I don’t have a complete idea of what I want to major in, Plattsburgh holds the many that I’ve narrowed it down to.”  She added, “I fell in love with the campus.  The team is so family oriented and that is the kind of dynamic that is needed for a successful softball career.”  

Emily has always been an athlete, but she owes her love of softball to a few particular people.  “I owe it to Rick Budakowski.  He pushed me to be the athlete I am today.  I’ve had many coaches in my career and all of them have made a huge impact on me and the person I am today.”  

Her success in little league this past summer has bled into the success the varsity team is set to display this year.  “Our varsity season is already looking quite successful.  In the summer of 2017, my Little League district went to the New York State Championship game.  I believe we, as a team, will take what we achieved in the summer and apply that energy and positivity to this upcoming season.”  

Having a team that went all the way to the state championship, and having those same girls on the varsity team, forms a bond that is difficult to break.   “I’m going to miss the family that we have created here in the varsity program. These girls mean everything to me, and they have had my back no matter what.  We have grown together and we learned the game together.” 

Emily wants to give a heartfelt message to all of her coaches.  “I am going to miss my coaches so much.  In the short time that they have been in the program, I have grown to love them and appreciate them for all that they do for us.  They put us first and push us to become better athletes.  They are the reason I decided I was going to go to college to play softball.  I had plans to end my career after my senior year, but they pushed me to a point at which it became hard not to imagine myself playing after high school.”  


Emily hopes to lead her team to a successful year in her last year as a member of the Wizards.  If anyone is looking to have friends to talk to, form new friendships, or just try something new, a sport could be the answer for you.  You never know what can happen; the people you meet could be your friends forever... just ask Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment