Thursday, April 5, 2018

SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: ANTHONY WITTE

By JACK PALMER 

JACK PALMER FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY
When it comes time to choosing a school during a student’s senior year, there are many different factors that need to be considered.  Whether it be money, opportunities, internships, or being close to home, there are always reasons to choose a certain school.  For one particular student at Washingtonville High School, the choice was a little different; he chose to be one of the few who are brave enough to serve this country. 

Anthony Witte, who is currently the Lieutenant Colonel of the Junior Reserves Officers’ Training Corps, will be attending Pennsylvania State University in the fall where he will major in International Relationships on a 4-year Marine ROTC Scholarship.  While talking to Anthony, he expressed that his love and passion for the military comes from family ties.  “My grandfathers, who enlisted during the Second World War- one in the Marines and one in the Army- lived up to their legacies and served their country.  I wish to follow in their footsteps.” 

Being the top ranking officer in Washingtonville’s JROTC program, he exclaimed that, “JROTC has not only taught me general knowledge of the military, but values as well.  It has taught me what it takes to be a leader and influence others.”  He went on to say, “By making important decisions and leading others, I will take what I’ve learned going into the Marines.”  His training and the bonds he has formed with his teachers, former military members who teach the JROTC program, will give him an advantage heading into college. 

In a sit down conversation with Witte, I asked him why he wants to join the Marines, and what he hopes to accomplish by the end of his tenure in service.   Without skipping a beat, he passionately expressed that he is joining the Marines because, “ I want to be able to protect my land and give back to the people from which all of my opportunities have come.  It will also shape me as a whole person for my future.”  

As someone who entered the JROTC program as a young cadet, and is now leading a large group of almost 130 young cadets, he hopes that he can leave a lasting impression.  His biggest goal is to “be the one that is looked up to where people follow in my footsteps.  I hope that my motivation to serve steers others into the same direction.”


The JROTC program is a great start for any students entering the high school, or who are already in the school and are looking for a way to make a difference.  It can bring with it great opportunities and an advantage that only few in the United States can achieve; a chance to serve and protect the United States of America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment