Thursday, March 22, 2018

SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: JACK WILDE

By JACK PALMER 

For most seniors, there comes a time when choosing a school to spend the next four years of their lives becomes one of the most challenging decision they will have to make.  Here at Washingtonville High School, there are plenty of students who have a wide variety of talents that many colleges are looking for.  Whether it be sports, music or the arts, there is no shortage of talent throughout the halls of WHS.  Jack Wilde is one of these talented teens as he is truly making his mark as a pitcher of the baseball team here at the high school.

Jack, who has been playing baseball his whole life, recently chose to play baseball for the next four years at St. Thomas Aquinas College.  For someone who has been all about baseball his entire life, he says that, “Baseball means always having fun while improving my game. It means forming lifelong bonds with my teammates.  The best part about baseball is all the great memories made over the years with my friends.” 

JACK PALMER FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY
While baseball was a huge factor in his decision to choose St. Thomas Aquinas, there were also other factors that led to his decision.  For him, the choice was simple when he announced his decision and that “St. Thomas Aquinas is only forty-five minutes away from home, so it is local.  I wanted to stay in the Northeast to be close to my family and friends so I can visit them.  When I was given a tour of the campus by the coaches, I felt at home.  I wanted a smaller campus so I would be a name, not a number in the classroom.”  

Baseball was not the only reason for Wilde’s decision.  Jack also chose the school because of what he wants to study: business.  When he saw the business school, he felt that it was the best out of the schools he had seen.  He also thought it was his best chance to get the education he wants while also being able to continue his passion of playing baseball. 

Being a student athlete is something some might take for granted; for some, it is a choice they will cherish forever.  As for Jack, he described being a student athlete as “balancing schoolwork and baseball. We practice six days a week for around two hours.  It is important for me to designate time to study, do my homework, and maintain good grades during the season.”  For student athletes, not just here at Washingtonville, but all over the country, the responsibility of juggling school work and practice is truly one of the hardest tasks any high school student can take on.  

Teachers are some of the biggest supporter of student athletes. When students get overwhelmed with work, practice and games, talking to teachers about having some extra time for work is always a good thing, as they are the backbone for success.  For Jack, however, his success comes from many different sources.  “I owe a lot of my success to my pitching coach.  I have worked with him for over six years developing into a Division II pitcher.  My varsity coach has also helped me get to this level of play by constantly pushing me out of my comfort zone.”  He goes on to inform, “My family has always believed in me and supported me. My dad would always take me to the field and we would practice for hours.  My mom would always support me no matter if I was pitching in a little league game or a varsity game.” With all of these people supporting him, he has been able to accomplish what he has worked towards, and he has never given up on his dreams. 


For anyone looking to become a student athlete, Jack reminds people to “keep a competitive mentality, which will help you get to the next level.  Always tell yourself that you can improve.” During a student athlete’s career, he or she will sometimes have to accept failure and learn from it in order to not only become a better player, but to have success in what he or she loves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment