Thursday, June 7, 2018

WIZARDS TAKE THE NEXT STEP

By TAYLOR FAGAN

TAYLOR FAGAN FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY
Athletics are just one of the several other extra curricular activities that Washingtonville High School has to offer.  There are a plethora of  talented students within the class of 2018 who plan on continuing their academic and athletic careers at colleges and universities next fall.  With the school year coming to a close, Washingtonville seniors celebrated their decision to play college sports with a signing day on Wednesday, June 6th.  

For those who are unfamiliar with what the signing day event actually is, it is when a student, or group of students, announce where they will be attending college and what sport they will be playing.  Not only is this an exciting event for the student, but it is a proud moment for parents and other family members to celebrate the success of their child.  Senior, Brendan O’Leary’s mom was one of the very proud parents at the signing day.  Mrs.O’Leary stated “It was a very proud moment. Brendan is a great student-athlete and he definitely deserves to play...I’m excited for him to have a new experience, meet new people, and of course get to see him play basketball at the next level.” 

Senior, Lindsey Julian, is on track to continue her track and field career at SUNY Oneonta.  Through her high school experience on the track and field team, she has been successful, all while continuing to excel in school work.  Not only is Lindsey a top competitor on the track, but she also enjoys hobbies such as dance and piano.  When asked how Lindsey manages her time she voiced, “With my extra curricular activities, I actually learned how to manage my time better. Because I have such a busy schedule, I had to prioritize myself in order to get my school work done, along with everything else in my everyday life.”  

The signing day event held students from several different sports.  Senior football star, Brandon Politza, signed his letter of intent to attend St. Thomas Aquinas College.  Politza vocalized “I chose STAC for many reasons. When I went, I knew it felt like home.” He later added “Making my college decision was very stressful. I applied to twentyfour schools...I’m looking forward to playing football again and making new friends and memories.” 

It is an exciting time for the graduating class of 2018.  Senior, Brendan O’Leary, plans to play basketball next year at the College of New Rochelle.  He expressed “I’m looking forward to making a lot of new friends on the team, getting a new experience with being away, and just starting a new chapter in life”.  Lindsey Julian also added, “I feel a mix of emotions. I’m sad that I will be leaving all of my friends but at the same time, I am so excited to start this next chapter of my life, along with being a little bit nervous. College is an exciting experience for everyone and I’m happy that we are all moving forward.” 

It is a time to celebrate the closing of a chapter and the start of a new one.  Signing day was just one of the several other ways to celebrate the seniors playing college sports.  

No comments:

Post a Comment