Wednesday, February 14, 2018

BLAST FROM THE PAST

By KELLY TOM

Students of Washingtonville High School have always felt a tremendous amount of pride for their building.  It is no surprise to learn that this pride also extends to the Middle School and all three elementary schools.  Victoria Stone, a senior at WHS, stated, “I miss those days; I’d say elementary school was the best.”  Here at Washingtonville, there are three incredible elementary schools and much debate over which one is the best. 

Taft elementary, the biggest of the three schools and currently boasting 785 students, is often believed to be the best, particularly by former students.  Victoria Stone, a Taft graduate stated that “my school was the best because the teachers were the nicest, [and] I liked everything about my elementary school.”  Taft was beloved by all their students.  Michaela Warren, also a senior at WHS and Taft graduate, claimed,  “The best part about Taft was the people I got to grow up with.  There isn’t a single thing I didn’t like about Taft.”  

KELLY TOM FOR THE WIZARD WEEKLY
Taft Elementary got its name from the 27th president of the United States, William Howard Taft.  Michaela’s favorite part of Taft was all of 5th grade particularly when they got to shoot off bottle rockets that took weeks to make.

Former Round Hill students have different opinions about which school is the best.  Ryan Waaland, a senior at WHS reminisced, “I used to go to catholic school until 5th grade and I hated catholic school.  When I moved over to Round Hill, I began to love school and still do to this day.”  Ryan is currently ranked 5th in the class of 2018 and is a Round Hill graduate.  Round Hill Elementary, which was founded in 1968, currently has 540 students according to niche.com. Many students at Round Hill remember playing a game called mumball every Friday and it was an “absolute favorite,” according to Kate Rocke, also a Round Hill graduate.

Little Britain Elementary, although the smallest of the three schools with only 468 students, is also believed to be the best, according to alumni.  Abby Evans, now a senior at WHS, claims, “My favorite memory from elementary school was spending recess with my friends.  Little Britain is the best because the teachers are also kind and enthusiastic, so classes were always fun.”  

Elementary school is often remembered with nostalgia. Abby stated, “When I was in elementary school I enjoyed it; the structure of it made learning fun and when you’re younger you get less homework.”  Although growing up has its perks, nothing compares to being in elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment