Monday, February 13, 2017

THE PAGE OF ALL THINGS REC

By MATTHEW BARBOOKLES

Social Media is a big part of the 21st century. It is also a big part of Washingtonville’s recreational basketball league. Tucker Cergol, a junior at Washingtonville High School, has created a Blooming Groove Rec. Instagram page that updates the world on the games that take place every week. 

MATTHEW BARBOOKLES FOR WIZARD WEEKLY
The Instagram page, @bgrecball, gives all the updates on what is going on in Blooming Grove’s basketball league. The page began last year, and has only gotten more popular since its inception. When asked how he came up with the idea for the page Tucker replied, “I came up with the idea for the page when I noticed how much everyone loves recreational basketball. I realized that if I could take highlights and post them onto a page, it would encourage more people to play rec. and grow the rec. community as a whole.”  Tucker went on to articulate how the idea came about to help kids gain the courage to come out and play.  Tarek Abu Zeid, another junior here at Wizard Nation, also expressed how he felt about Cergol’s creation. “It is my favorite. Every week I look to see if I made the page,” Tarek revealed.

The page is quite informative, giving updates on the standings, highlights, and injuries among players.  This takes up a lot of time, according to Tucker.  He explained, “I try to update the page once a day throughout the week. I crop videos from my phone and post highlight reels almost every day. Then, I'll post something like the standings or something related to that time in the calendar year.  I mostly do this for everyone that plays so that everyone is recognized.”

Improvements can be made everywhere in the world of social media, but Tucker is confident that his page is doing well.  He expressed, “There really isn't anything I'd like to add to the page. Maybe some interviews will possibly be added with playoffs coming up. I would also like to do what it takes to make this page something that even people outside of recreational basketball will enjoy. I want it to be something that everyone follows for pure entertainment.”  Anyone who is interested can follow Tucker’s Instagram page @bgrecball.  Prepare to be informed and entertained!


No comments:

Post a Comment